Funding Opportunity Announcement for Pilot Research Projects 2014
California State University, Fullerton and the University of California, IrvineChao Family Comprehensive Cancer CenterPartnership for Cancer Health Disparities Research
You are invited to submit an application for a pilot research project that is responsive to the Partnership’s goals. The project may be in any research discipline – e.g., basic, clinical, prevention, control, behavioral, community-based participatory, or population. The Partnership particularly encourages minority investigators from both institutions to apply and to involve minority students in the projects. Two projects will be selected during 2014 based on the criteria listed below.Review Criteria
: The proposals must:
- be of high scientific merit
- include at least one investigator (co-leader) from each institution
- relate to some aspect of cancer health disparities
- include a mentoring and training plan for early stage investigators and students
- describe plans to develop the project into an extramural grant proposal (i.e. R21, R01)
- use the PHS 398 form format and limit the Research Strategy Section to no longer than six pages. If an early stage investigator is involved, a two-page description of a training/mentorship program for the investigator will also be required.
: We understand that most faculty members will not have an established working relationship with a faculty member at the other campus. Therefore, the first step of the application process will be submission of a one-page concept paper by an investigator at CSUF or UCI including the tentative name of the project, the name and experience of the investigator, the research hypothesis and aims, how the research addresses cancer health disparities, and a brief summary of the methods. Upon receipt of the concept paper, the PIs and members of the Partnership’s Internal Advisory Committee (IAC) will attempt to identify a Co-Leader at the other campus. Once that is accomplished, the PIs will facilitate meetings between the investigators to develop a pilot research project proposal.Resubmission
: If you submitted an application in response to the 2013 RFA, you are allowed to resubmit the proposal one time. A one page Introduction must be included that summarizes the substantial additions, deletions and changes to the application. The Introduction must also include a response to the issues and criticism raised by the reviewers.Review Process
: The IAC will conduct reviews of the pilot projects. The IAC is made up of senior faculty members at CSUF and UCI. If IAC members do not have the appropriate scientific expertise, ad hoc reviewers will be solicited. The reviewers will prepare written critiques using the NIH scoring system (1-9) for scientific merit. Applicants will be asked to provide written responses to the critiques. After prioritizing the proposals, the IAC will forward them to the Partnership Executive Committee (EC) for a final funding decision.Funding Available
: Up to $50,000 ($25,000 for each campus) in combined direct costs is available per year for up to two consecutive years.Timeline:
- January 17, 2014 Concept papers from interested investigators due. A sample format is attached.
- February 6, 2014 Concept papers reviewed by IAC
- February 7-28, 2014 Investigators matched with Co-leader at the other campus
- March 6, 2014 Research Collaboration Forum for potential investigators from CSUF and UCI
- May 2, 2014 Pilot project proposals due
- June 5, 2014: Initial review by the IAC
- June 13, 2014 Written feedback provided to Co-Leaders
- July 1, 2014 Revised proposal due
- July 15, 2014 Final review by the IAC and EC
- September 1, 2014 Project start date
: Please email the concept papers, pilot project proposals or one-page resubmission write-ups to the Program Managers at each campus:
Program Managers: Sandy Bennett
and Jacqueline Tidball
Please feel free to contact the PIs if you have any questions.
Principal Investigators: Sora Park Tanjasiri,
Dr.P.H., M.P.H. email@example.com andF. Allan Hubbell, M.D
., M.S.P.H. at firstname.lastname@example.org
This pilot research project funding is made available through the support of the National Institutes of Health, National Cancer Institute, Center to Reduce Cancer Health Disparities, grant numbers P20CA174292 (CSUF) and P20 CA174188 (UCI-CFCCC).