The Benefits of NCI-designation
The NCI-designated Cancer Centers Program:
- Recognizes centers around the country that meet rigorous criteria for world-class, state-of-the-art programs in multidisciplinary cancer research.
- Centers have dedicated significant resources into developing research programs, faculty, and facilities that will lead to better approaches to prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of cancer.
- Grant funding that accompanies the designation supports shared resources for research, provides developmental funds to advance scientific goals, and fosters cancer programs that draw investigators from different disciplines together.
Benefits of NCI-designation:
- Recognizes excellence in cancer research.
- As members of the community of NCI-designated cancer centers, each center director has a "Seat at the table" where the strategic plans and initiatives of NCI are formed.
- Centers represent the needs of its local community in national dialogue on cancer research issues.
- Creates opportunities for extensive information sharing and broader scientific collaborations with other NCI centers.
A Comprehensive Cancer Center:
- Demonstrates reasonable depth and breadth of research in each of three major areas:
- Laboratory research
- Clinical research
- Population-based research.
- Demonstrates aptitude in transdisciplinary research that bridges the scientific areas.
- Serves its catchment area, as well as the broader population, through its cancer research.
- Integrates training and education of biomedical researchers and health care professionals into programmatic efforts to enhance its scientific mission and potential.